CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Good Thoughts

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. -Romans 8:28-9

My pastor was talking about starting off the new year and how much of a promise this verse is. The thing that struck me was what he was saying that good was. When I think of good I guess I think of happiness or comfort. I realized that it's one of those words that I can't really think of a solid meaning for. I looked it up on Dictionary.com and it had 58 definitions for it! I guess I'm not the only one who has this problem. Anyway, he was saying that good is actually defined there in verse 29.

To be conformed to the likeness of his Son

That actually makes sense because if good meant comfort the Bible would seem contradictory. Job had a ton of bad things happen to him that he never deserved. Paul served God wholeheartedly and ended up in a Roman prison and eventually dead.

It got me thinking about Jeremiah 29:11 as well.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


What if God's definition of prosperity isn't always what we think of as prosperity? I know God loves to bless his people, but maybe sometimes things happen so we can become more like Christ and won't feel or look good at all.

7 comments:

Brian said...

Awesome blog.
Rom 8:28 "good" could be translated "useful". So the things we go through (even bad) will be used by God to draw you and others to himself for his glory.

"The refiner is never very far from the mouth of the furnace when his gold is in the fire" Charles Spurgeon

grace and peace,
Brian
downpour-me.blogspot

Bria Cosper said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog Kale! I really like yours.

Anonymous said...

You are tagged! Check out as one of seven.

Danielle Diez - Maiden of Emmanuel said...

What a great blog! :)
I hope you remember me from the forums. [Bookie]
I hope to see more of it soon, keep up the awesome work! =]
~Bookie

Anonymous said...

My pastor preached on the same passage. I can definantly relate to the feeling you left your heart in Ethiopia when you left. I'm getting the chance to possibly go back to Uganda to live on the mission field for possibly a year next fall but I'm afraid I most likely won't be able to go. It might be easier for you to e-mail me. This is my e-mail: megimp89synchrosk8@hotmail.com

I'll enjoy reading your blog!

Araken said...

That is really cool!

Anonymous said...

I know it (the followers thing) says I just added. It is because I put them all anonymous to see what that did, and them I put it back to public, so now it is how it is now. Sorry!

Lauren Ann